The Ausangate Trek is a 43 mile backpacking trip that runs through one of the most beautiful landscapes in the Andes. Starting at 12,000ft and reaching high passes close to 17,000ft, the Ausangate Trek reaches some seriously high elevations. Along the way, you’ll pass by small villages, glacial lakes, towering snow capped peaks, and herds of alpacas. The Ausangate Trek is an adventure of a life time.
Day 1: Cusco – Tinqui – Upis – YanacochaHiking Time: 6 hours
Hiking Distance: 12 km / 7.46 miles
Lowest Point: 4,350 m / 14,272 ft
Highest Point: 4,800 m / 15,748 ft
We start early in Cusco driving towards Tinqui (4050 meters of altitude), we will pass close to little farms and meet traditional families with lovely people. We will have a little stop while we organize all our stuff and backpacks, then we start the hiking towards the small village of Upis (4400 meters of altitude) There we will have our lunch full of beautiful sceneries. After our delicious lunch, we continue hiking gradually up to Arapa pass (4800meters of altitude). From that part, we will start to descend until Yanacocha where we will spend the first night at our campsite.
Yanacocha – Pucacocha Pass – AnantapataHiking Time: 7 - 8 hours
Hiking Distance: 12 km / 7.46 miles
Lowest Point: 4,600 m / 15,092 ft
Highest Point: 5,000 m / 16,404 ft
Wake up time with the view of the mountains, after breakfast, we will hike up discovering amazing lakes and different kind of colors from where we ascend towards Pucacocha Pass (4900meters) we have the lunch here. Then, we will continue walking to Anantapata where we will have our campsite.
Day 3: Anantapata – Rainbow Mountain – Ausangate LakeHiking Time: 7 - 8 hours
Hiking Distance: 15 km / 9.32 miles
Lowest Point: 4,600 m / 15,091 ft
Highest Point: 5,050 m / 16,568 ft
After our delicious breakfast, we continue the trek towards another mountain pass. Walking down, we’ll hike till Lake Kayrawiri, surrounded by mountain and white peaks and the wonderful valley below. Different colors are decorating the hillsides. Then we go on to Cerro Laya Grande where we will see the most striking colors in the sediments of Vinicunca or Rainbow Mountain. Our lunch will be here enjoying this unique landscape. We have to come back to Ananta from where we continue to Ausangate Qocha Lake, where we will spend the night in our tents.
Day 4: Ausangate Lake – Palomani pass – JampaHiking Time: 6 – 7 hours
Hiking Distance: 10 km / 6.21 miles
Lowest Point: 4,600 m / 15,092 ft
Highest Point: 5,130 m / 16,831 ft
Today we will take the highest mountain pass (5100meters) which has spectacular views of Ausangate snow-covered pick. Descending along the way of the glaciers, we hike to Finaya pampa where we learn about different kinds of camelids like lamas, Alpacas and the wild vicuñas. After a day of comfortable and adventurous hiking, we arrive at Jampa (4700 meters) where will have our camping.
Day 5: Jampa – Campa pass – Pacchanta – Cuscowe wake up early after the breakfast we have the highlight of this day, is definitely the spectacular ascend to the Campa pass (5050 meters). Moreover, we will pass several lovely and beautiful lakes on the way to Pacchanta. Here, we will visit the hot springs having a relax moment also we will enjoy a typical lunch. After our relaxing time in the warm pools, we come back to Cusco by car.
Hiking Time: 7 – 8 hours
Hiking Distance: 12 km / 6.83 miles
Lowest Point: 4,300 m / 14,108 ft
Highest Point: 5,060 m / 16,601 ft
Note on Itinerary
Although we do our very best possible to adhere to the schedule above, this itinerary is subject to change for several reasons beyond our control, including strikes, weather, natural disasters, and terrain conditions. On some occasions, these conditions may demand us to deviate from our original schedule, in which case we will provide the best available alternative options. And we’ll make a great experience of it!
Average daytime temperatures in and around Cusco generally range from 55º – 75º F with evenings cooling down into the 40º and 50º. Much of this itinerary takes place in the mountains, where weather can change very quickly and evening temperatures regularly drop into the 30º and 40º. As our treks are planned during the “dry season”, days are typically clear and pleasant, with afternoon clouds occasionally building and leading to small amounts of rainfall, and morning temperatures usually range from 35º and 45º with some frost on the tents, and frosty plains in some locations. While April and November departures may experience slightly higher amounts of rainfall, all-day rain is unusual. We will be hiking over multiple mountain passes which are over 14,104 ft, so should you be prepared for unpredictable mountain weather.
What is Included?
- Transportation from hotel to Upis.
- Transportation back to hotel from Pacchanta town at the end of our journey.
- Camping equipment 4 season tent (04 people tent for 02 people).
- Air sleeping pad, Therma-Rest brand comes with pillows.
- Other camping equipment, a dining tent with table and chairs, and a kitchen tent, manned by a professional cooking staff.
- Entrance tickets to the park.
- Trek Leader,
- Meals: Breakfast (5), lunch (5), dinner (4), and snacks.
- A professional Quechua chef.
- Horses, and muleteers; horses carry your 8-kg / 16-pound personal items.
- Emergency Horse to escort us during the trek.
- Oxygen tank.
- Duffel bags where to put your personal items.
- Sleeping bags US$5 per day, and hiking poles US$5 per day , you might get them rented from us.
- Extra expenditure during the trek, such as: soda, alcoholic drinks, extra snacks, tickets for the hot Springs.
- Gratuities for the guides, porters or muleteers, and other staff.
- Travel and health insurance (you need to have one and bring copies with you please), we highly recommend to get an insurance of trip cancellation, interruption; an insurance to protect your travel investment, Included with your pre-departure package, bring your travel insurance to cover trip cancellation, interruption, baggage loss and delay, emergency medical evacuation insurance and emergency medical expense insurance. Any unexpected situations occurred during the journey and which are beyond our control, including changes in scheduling trains or flights, delays, strikes, cancellations, missed connections, etc. it should be covered by the passenger as a whole. Also, if you for physical reasons of health cannot continue the trek or walk, and will need emergency evacuation then all charges incurred such as transportation, hotel, ambulance, doctors, medication, hospitalization, etc. will be at passenger’s expense.
Thank you for choosing Machu Picchu RPB Tours!
We will do everything in our power to take care of you and ensure an enjoyable trip of a lifetime in Peru!
WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING
- Travel insurance (and some copies).
- Sleeping bag (or you can rent one from us).
- Backpack to carry your things.
- Phone and Camera charger and adapter.
- Torch or headlamps.
- Deet or mosquito repellent ( recommendable 30% deet).
- Hiking poles ( or you can rent one pair from us).
- Rain gear (especially if traveling in the wet season, from October to March).
- Comfortable hiking clothes, including warm clothes for the nighttime.
- Good hiking boots with protector ankle or similar, and one pair of flip-flops or light sandals.
- Sunblock and sunglasses.
- Hiking long sleeve T-shirts.
- Hiking trousers.
- Thermal underwear.
- Sleeping bag liner.
- Hiking socks.
- Ear Plugs.
- Water bottle or canteen.
- American dollars and peruvian soles in cash.
- Sun hat, cap, and warm hat and gloves for the nighttime.
- Toilet paper, and face tissue paper.
- Anti-inflammatory tablets (e.g. Ibuprofen).
- Personal first-aid kit (should contain lip salve, Diamox (acetazolamide), Aspirin, Band Aids, anti-histamine, Imodium or similar tablets for mild cases of diarrhea, re-hydration powder, extra prescription drugs you may take).
Terms and Conditions
Please, After your deposit, send Us, Transfer Number to: firstname.lastname@example.org, After we are going to confirm your deposit and reservation.
Thank you so much for choosing Machu Picchu RPB Tours!!!.